Friday, February 22, 2013

PINSAL FALLS

THIS blog about my trip to Pinsal Falls has long been overdue. My first and only visit to the tallest, if not the most beautiful waterfall in Ilocos, was way back in December 2011. Some of my snapshots of the place, now with a good number of likes and comments, had been in my Facebook’s Timeline photos for quite some time now. But with my recent trip to Cambugahay Falls in Lazi, Siquijor early this month and to Balite Falls in Amadeo, Cavite in April last year, I cannot help but compare these two falls with Pinsal Falls.

It’s an easy verdict for me: Pinsal Falls certainly stands above the two, not only because of its size but also because of its rocky landscape and the challenges it offers, a number of other interesting natural features of the area, and its accessibility (it’s approximately 30 minutes ride from the town proper).

Now, with the advent of summer, you might think of a perfect getaway for your barkada or family, and Pinsal Falls may be a good place to go. Having visited the place myself, I can assure you that a summer break to this place gives you some fun climbing, picnic, swimming, and exploring.
Pinsal Falls is located at Baballasioan, one of the easternmost barangays of Sta. Maria, Ilocos Sur, bordering a part of Abra.  Some people from Pilar, Abra usually use the trails of the waterfalls going to the mountains as their shortcut route from their place to Sta. Maria town proper. So don’t be surprised when you get to the top of the falls to meet a pair or group of Pilar folks with their bundles or packs on a trek upstream.

Sta. Maria town is more popularly known as the home of La Asuncion de la Ñuestra Señora Church, one of UNESCO's World Heritage sites for baroque churches. It is perched strategically on top of a hill highlighted by its main stairway with 83 cobblestone steps, fronting the town plaza.

I spent first year of high school in a private school just at the foot of the hill where the famous church is. And during my early years in our place in adjacent Narvacan town, I and my friends would go to Sta. Maria to attend a mass, or to visit some of my relatives there. But even then, I never had the chance to go to Pinsal Falls though it’s always been the town’s best tourist attraction after the church. That the falls had been used by the late Fernando Poe Jr. as one of the sites of his famous movie “Panday” is another thing for the locals to brag about.

I only had the chance to visit the place in 2011, or the year my wife died, after I got a rare two-week off from my job in a publishing house in Quezon City. And Uncle Boni, my mother’s younger brother, wanted me to get the most of my vacation in Ilocos after my bereavement. Upon the suggestion of his daughter who had visited Pinsal Falls a few days earlier, we set off to Baballasioan in the morning of December 28 with my Uncle driving his SUV and my cousin as guide.   

We only took about 40 minutes from the poblacion to the drop-off point, actually a dead-end of the concrete road going to the site. From here, we could already see the postcard-perfect view of the falls, brandishing its crystal-clear water dropping from a height of around about 25 meters to a narrow gorge below. It was a nice day; not too hot and not windy either. According to the locals, the best time to go here is between the months of October and December. 


We set up our picnic basket near the base of the falls shadowed by a big wall of rock, and far from the spray off the falls as the water flows down into two main catch basins at the bottom. The two spacious natural pools are ideal for deep dive swimming. But for those who couldn’t swim, they have to go to the top of the rock. According to my cousin, there was a cave below but you have to dive to go inside.

My brother, my two sons, and some nephews began our slow ascent from the shallows and slippery stones of the catch basin to the big rock just near the falls. The ascent is not physically demanding, because there are man-made railings and steps carved out of the rock to make the ascent a little easier. Our younger companions went to the side of a hill where there’s a natural trail leading to the top of the mountain.


On top of the rock, there are smaller versions of the falls and some natural pools where you can take a refreshing dip or have a cool shower from the cascading flow. No wonder the top-most part with its majestic grandeur and pristine beauty is a favorite destination of photography enthusiasts. My sister had part of her pre-wedding photo shoot here for her wedding last year.

On a higher ground is the expanse of a route to the source of the water upstream, mostly a dried stone-white bed, interrupted by some pools of different sizes and some rock formations. A number of other interesting natural features of the area may be seen along the way, with hillsides on both sides covered with foliage of big trees. Rock climbers looking for a rare nature exploration can also visit the canopy on one side.

Mention Pinsal Falls and, thanks to a local myth immortalized by the works of Ilocano writer Godofredo Reyes, the giant couple Angalo and Aran is first thing you can think of. The largest of the natural pools atop the rock is believed to be the footprint of Angalo, a mythical giant of Ilocano folklore. According to legend, the footprint-shaped pool was formed when he stepped on the top of Pinsal Falls while searching for his missing wife, the giantess Aran.

I know that this is not a place for musing and sadness, but I suddenly thought of my wife and felt sad that she was no longer with me for this. She would have loved to explore the place, hear its mystical stories, and dip on its pools on top of the falls. Now I felt I was the giant Angalo, in search of his missing wife.

But the opportunity to experience this natural beauty near my hometown should not be missed. Every experience filled with a sense of adventure and awe is worthy of an immortality on my digicam files. There are still no commercial structures on or near the area, and there might be plans to dam the water downstream that might affect this natural wonder. So if you want to see it, now is the time to go.

view from the top
 steps carved out 
                                                                                                               of the rock
 the main falls
the river upstream

No comments: