Saturday, February 11, 2012

TO DANCE AGAIN!

THAT smile full of sunshine. That sparkle of pure excitement in her eyes. That unmistakable confidence shaping her every move.
Those were the traits I was used to seeing from Roseya right before a dance performance. During the foundation day celebration at her school, Jocelyn V. Cacas Montessori, I was deeply relieved to see them return. She was the star dancer of her Grade 2 class, and there was absolutely no doubt that my eight-year-old daughter was thrilled to be back on stage.
By a quarter to one in the afternoon, Roseya was already dressed in her fairy costume: a short-sleeved blouse, butterfly wings, and a white skirt layered with pointed fabric strips. Even though the program wasn't scheduled to start until 2:00 p.m., she pleaded with me to hurry and get her to the venue an hour early. I had to explain that I still had chores to finish at home, so I asked her kuya (older brother), Nathaniel, to chaperone her. Nathaniel was also participating in the high school division of the event.
Ever since my wife passed away, I have been left alone to manage the household and prepare my three children for days like this. Not a single day goes by that I don’t miss her, but her absence feels especially heavy during milestone occasions.
Roseya has loved dancing since she was a toddler. She is a natural; she requires very little formal coaching and can easily choreograph her own steps. She spent three years training as a little ballerina, auditioned for several mall-sponsored talent searches, and even tried out for a television dance contest. Family and friends frequently invited her to birthdays just to showcase her graceful movements.
Roseya and Mom, 2010
Yet, none of my daughter’s talent would have been discovered, nurtured, or shared with an admiring crowd without my wife's guidance. Her mother's early plan to enroll her in fun ballet courses sparked a lifelong passion for dance. They shared a beautiful, seamless mother-daughter bond. My wife was the ultimate "stage mom" in the best way possible—acting as a personal assistant, makeup artist, and talent manager all wrapped into one. She was the driving force behind our daughter’s early love for the art.
Everything changed after my wife passed away. Her death triggered a seismic shift in our family's life. Without her mother there to take her to weekly lessons, Roseya was forced to stop attending ballet school. The talent auditions stopped, too. Her dreams of stardom were completely sidelined.
Roseya did her best to understand our new reality, but every so often, she would quietly ask if she could go back to ballet. The owner of her ballet school, who hated to see such raw talent go to waste, generously offered a steep discount if we ever wanted to re-enroll her.
The weight of our situation hit me hard two months ago. We were attending a birthday party for a neighbor who was also Roseya's classmate in ballet. The birthday girl and several of her dance classmates performed a few ballet routines for the guests. Standing beside Roseya, I felt a deep ache in my heart as I watched her look on with envy. She was watching her old peers execute the very moves she would have loved to be doing right alongside them. The school owner approached me again at the party to remind me of the discounted offer. Unfortunately, with the current demands on my time and finances, I couldn’t commit to her, nor did I want to make empty promises to my daughter.
The last time Roseya had performed was in December of the previous year, when she was selected to represent her school in an intermission number for a district-wide academic affair at SM Marilao. A scheduling conflict prevented me from watching her live. But the vivid, joyful way she described the day made me feel like I was right there in the audience, beaming with pride as she wowed the crowd.
So, when her teachers named her the star dancer for this year’s foundation day, I wasn’t surprised. During the previous year's celebration, her Grade 1 class won the Level 1 dance competition (which spans preschool to Grade 3). The year before that, when she was still in prep school, her class took home the exact same title. It became a running joke among the faculty that Roseya was every class adviser's lucky charm for the annual competition.
Even so, without her mother around to oversee practices or help coordinate the class costumes, I kept my expectations low this time around.

Roseya and the Grade 1 class, 2011

Right before she left the house with her kuya, Roseya asked me for her mom’s old makeup kit. It took me a long time to find it buried deep inside my wife’s still-unsorted things in the closet. Roseya mentioned that, at her own suggestion, her class adviser would be helping her apply it at the venue.
About fifteen minutes after they left, my second child, Dudoy, headed out the door wearing a freshly pressed polo shirt but sporting wildly unkempt hair. I followed him out a quarter of an hour later, leaving precisely at two o'clock.
The sky was gray and heavy with a patchy drizzle by the time I reached the venue, an open-air basketball court equipped with a stage and a pavilion just three blocks from the school's main building. I spotted Roseya immediately, gathered in a corner with her classmates. Even in the crowded space, she stood out completely in her fairy wings and radiant face. Nearby, other parents huddled close to their children, trying to shield them from the rain. Roseya stayed close to her teacher to keep her costume dry.

Roseya in fairy costume with her Grade 2 classmates, 2012

When she caught my eye, she flashed a wide, toothy smile. It was clear that neither the dreary weather nor the resulting delay could damp her spirits. During the parade that followed the drizzle, she was all smiles, making sure to wave enthusiastically whenever she spotted me in the crowd.
As I looked closer, I noticed that her makeup and hair weren't quite what I was used to seeing. It lacked the polished touch her mother used to provide. She looked plain and simple compared to her female classmates, whose faces were meticulously done up. In contrast, Roseya's appearance was almost rustic—her hair at the back was held together by a simple, utilitarian rubber band.
Yet, any lack of glamour was entirely overshadowed by the bubbling, infectious aura of pure joy exuding from her. She was just happy to be performing again.
Following a series of crowd-pleasing routines by the preschoolers and a sharply choreographed number from the Grade 1 class, it was finally time for Grade 2. Roseya and her classmates made a grand entrance carrying their own props. Watching her walk out, I could see she was the proudest child on that floor, completely thrilled to hold center stage once more.
As the pounding rhythm of Maroon 5’s "Moves Like Jagger" echoed through the pavilion, Roseya twirled, leapt, spun, and jumped. She still possessed the effortless grace and precision of a trained ballerina. Every extension and movement was beautifully articulated by her absolute confidence. She was entirely back in her element.
She wasn't dancing for an award, a trophy, or public recognition; she was dancing for the sheer thrill and happiness of the movement itself. She danced because deep down, she knew her mom would have loved to see her doing it. She danced to feel the vibrant, healing rhythm of life again. Dancing made her feel completely free.
The routine went off without a single hitch. All the kids did a wonderful job, and their props fit the concept perfectly. Still, managing my own expectations, I didn't count on a victory.
I stayed behind to watch Dudoy perform in the Level 2 category (Grades 4 to 6), and stuck around to see Nathaniel dance with the high schoolers. With three performances left in the program, I decided to take Roseya home early to beat the crowds. I left my two sons behind to wait for the final awarding ceremonies, especially since Dudoy was slated to receive a gold medal for a school scrabble tournament, and I wanted his big brother there to assist him.
We didn't have to wait long for the news. A little while later, my two boys came bursting through the front door, shouting the results. Roseya’s class had been crowned the Level 1 Champions, and their group had even won the award for Best Costume.
The teachers' joke proved entirely true: Roseya really was a lucky charm, stretching her undefeated winning streak to three consecutive years. I knew in that moment that her mother would have been bursting with pride.
Roseya was slumped on the living room sofa, completely exhausted but radiantly happy from a long day. When I broke the news of the championship to her, she leaped up and threw her arms around me, hugging me tightly.
"Thank you, Dad," she whispered.
In that quiet embrace, I felt as though I was standing in for her mother, receiving the beautiful, reciprocal warmth of her love. I realized then that while I cannot replace her mom, allowing her to dance is the best way to forge a solid, trusting, and unbreakable bond with my daughter.

No comments: